Criminal complaint against unknown persons for suspicion of skimming credit card fraud

Diesen Blog-Beitrag in deutscher Sprache lesen

On 08/01/2019 I wrote by email to the following email address

  • KARLSRUHE-WALDSTADT.PREV@polizei.bwl.de (Police station Karlsruhe Waldstadt)

under the subject: Criminal complaint against unknown persons on suspicion of attempted skimming fraud:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hereby file a criminal complaint against unknown persons at TOTAL petrol station, Karlsruherstraße 82, 76139 Karlsruhe, Germany, on suspicion of attempted skimming fraud and file a criminal complaint for all possible offences.

This is based on the following facts:

On 07/26/2019 I went to the TOTAL petrol station, Karlsruherstraße 82, 76139 Karlsruhe, around 02:20 a.m., to supply myself with drinks and cigarettes.

When I wanted to pay at the night desk with my girocard, it was said that this was not possible this night: The necessary device had failed.

I didn't have any cash with me, so I asked if it would be possible to pay later by depositing my identity card.

The lady at the counter refused, but offered me to do the payment herself by handing over my PIN and my girocard if I trusted her.

I provided her with PIN and girocard and after about two minutes waiting time, at about 02:23 o'clock, I received my goods, a bill - see photo in the appendix - with correct prices and my girocard back.

In addition, I demanded the paper back on which I had noted my PIN - in blue letters - see photo in the appendix - for the lady. On this piece of paper there is a second PIN, allegedly from a customer to whom the same had happened before.

At home I disabled my girocard at 02:43 via my smartphone.

I noticed that I had not received any notification of the payment that had just been made:

However, these notifications normally arrive within a few minutes at the latest, as my bank, ING-DiBa AG, confirmed in a telephone conversation.

When exactly I do not know, but it must have taken hours, the notification arrived with a time stamp of 02:26 o'clock, 07/26/2019.

I suspect that I was to become a victim of a skimming attack: see - also for the criminal appreciation in the documents linked there:

Wikipedia: Credit card fraud - skimming

I would therefore like to ask you to initiate an investigation and to inform me of the outcome of the investigation.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Pfefferle

Comments